Looking for a healthy side dish to add to your week night meals or bring to a party this holiday season? Look for further! Give this brussel sprout dish a try.
Brussel sprouts are a cruciferous vegetable and are jam packed with nutrients! Brussel sprouts contain a sulfur containing phytochemical called glucosinolate. They are full of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Brussel sprouts can also prevent serious illnesses and cancer.
- 1 pint brussel sprouts (about a pound)
- 4 to 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to coat bottom of pan
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Trim bottom of brussel sprouts, and slice each in half top to bottom. Heat oil in cast-iron pan over medium-high heat until it simmers; put sprouts cut side down in one layer in pan. Put in garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, undisturbed, until sprouts begin to brown on bottom, and transfer to oven. Roast, shaking pan every 5 minutes, until sprouts are quite brown and tender, about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Stir in balsamic vinegar and serve.